So many people prefer polarized lenses… what makes them so great?
What are Polarized Lenses?
Polarized lenses are lenses that filter light in a special way to improve your vision and reduce your chances of being dangerously distracted by blinding or annoying reflections.
If you went back in time and talked to a physicist about light, they’d tell you that light is a form of a traveling particle, and they’d be wrong. Modern physicists have discovered that light actually travels in waves, much in the same way that radio waves do. Because of this, light is capable of having an orientation… In other words, some of the light reaching your eyes is “waving” straight up and down, some is “waving” left to right, and much is diagonal.
What polarized lenses do is cut out some of the light that gets to your eyes by removing some of these waves. Since reflected light, or “glare”, tends to “wave” in a certain direction, modern science has figured out how to make a film that has tiny molecules lined up in such a way that they block light waving in that direction. The result is clearer vision in bright sunlight, and less glare.
To keep it simple, here’s why polarized lenses and polarized sunglasses are so great:
- Polarized sunglasses cut down the glare that gets to your eyes, making your vision better.
- Polarized sunglasses remove much of the light that’s reflected off of cars and roads, making driving safer.
- Polarized sunglasses remove much of the reflected light off of water, enabling fishermen to see into the water better and water sports enthusiasts to give their eyes a break from the relentless sunlight on water.
- They reduce the “haze” that you get on hot and sunny days, which comes from scattered light in the air, usually from water or dust particles floating around.
- They’re available in prescription! Prescription polarized sunglasses are the ultimate in vision enhancement, increasing visual acuity both by correcting your vision and cutting down on scattered and reflected light.
Prescription polarized sunglasses are commonly used by motorcycle riders, extreme sports athletes, beachgoers, outdoor enthusiasts, and fishermen. With a good pair of prescription polarized glasses, you can enhance your vision immensely.
Polarized sunglasses were a revolutionary invention, and they continue to benefit people in the sun and on the roads. Have questions about polarized lenses or how they work? Leave us a comment in the comments section below, or give us a call! We’d love to hear from you. Thanks for reading!